Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Finally have a chance to post...ON VACATION!!!

OK, here's the down and dirty on what's going on with me. I left last Friday for my annual trip out west. I ate breakfast and lunch on the DTG plan before leaving but had to snack and eat on the road. I was smart enough to boil some eggs before leaving so I had that available along with some almonds, beef jerky, protein bars and even some pork rinds. Our first stop was for dinner just outside of Shreveport. It was a diner with a buffet. I normally avoid a buffet but it had fresh vegetables and some fish, chicken and fruit...so that's what I had.

We spent the night in Longview, TX and awoke to a free breakfast. They actually had something other than dry cereal and honey buns so I had 3 little egg patties along with some sausage. For lunch we stopped at Cracker Barrel so I ordered the BBQ pork with cole slaw. Dinner was a Rib eye with roasted vegetables and a salad. I really trying to avoid all carbs so no dinner rolls, crackers, potatoes, etc.

Sunday morning we were in Albuquerque, NM and I'd saved a piece of steak from the nite before to have with my morning eggs...which I did, 3 hard boiled. Lunch was quick in Farmington, NM as we had many more miles to go so we stopped into the KFC for their new grilled chicken plates. No dinner roll or potatoes, just chicken ad cole slaw. Keep in mind that as I grew hungry along the way I had the snacks mentioned above to munch on and I was drinking plenty of water. We pulled into Mexican Hat, Utah around 3pm and got our gear ready for our first ride. A quick run down Comb Ridge and Butler wash and we were both exhausted and ready for dinner. There is a really cool place called the  Swingin Steak and yes, they actually swing your steak over an open flame. The meal comes with a salad and pinto beans with a huge piece of Texas style toast...I just had the steak and salad along with an ice cold beer!

Memorial Monday we woke to beautiful blue skies along the San Juan River so we took a walk  to start the morning. A short hike along the ridge of the San Juan River was exhilarating to say the least. We also took the opportunity to fire off a few rounds from our weapons as no one was around in this desolate area. Scrambled eggs and bacon topped off the morning. We are on the bikes for most of the day so we lunched on protein bars, hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks. It filled the belly as we traveled to Hanksville, UT. It's a pretty small town so food choices are limited but we actually found a place where we hadn't eaten before. I enjoyed a nicely grilled chicken breast with delicious green beans and a salad vowing to come back Tuesday night for a steak.

The short walk to "Blondie's" for breakfast got our blood moving. I ordered 3 scrambled eggs with cheese and 2 sausage patties along with a fruit cup...it look refreshing and it was. We rode hard all day in the Temple Mountain region north of Hanksville and just outside Goblins State Park. We lived off of beef jerky and protein bars so by the time we made it back for dinner we were ravenous for a well prepared steak. Our little restaurant didn't disappoint! The rib eye was cooked to perfection with a side of green beans and a salad. Delicious!

My goal here is to enjoy my vacation and not come back from this trip, like so many others, at east 5 pounds heavier.  (I want to just maintain what I've lost; which by the way is 28 pounds. I was 230 the Thursday before we left.)I think that because I haven't been eating anything fried, I feel so much better out here. I haven't suffered with the altitude sickness as in past years nor have I felt zapped of my energy. I truly believe that what I'm eating is having a profound effect on the way I feel and the way I'm performing on my rides. It's amazing. I may not get a chance to blog again but I'm thinking about you guys. More later and lots of good pics!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! I do believe that one of the advantages on the low carb is that it's definitely easier to eat out and stick to the plan-if you've got the will power, and you certainly do! ENJOY YOURSELF and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bo

    Gun shooting, bike riding and a few beers, does it get any better? Apparently yes, with marvelous sights and rich tasty food. Great work on planning ahead with healthy snacks.
    Great job on the 28 pounds you left in Louisiana.
    Have fun, great rides and be safe.
    Looking forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun! Staying on plan when you are on low carb is definitely easier, so good job sticking with it! I am looking forward to the pics, also!

    ReplyDelete