Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm so happy I didn't order the Nutri Sytem...really happy.

OK, I’ve only had 4 complete meals since starting the Diet to Go meal plan (I’ve stopped calling it a diet because It’s hard to believe that eating this food will make you lose weight) but what I’ve eaten has been very flavorful and filling. After last nights healthy portion of Orange Roughy and cous cous I had a really good nights sleep. Now, I can’t really give for the snooze to starting Diet to Go but maybe the fact that I wasn’t over-full and my body didn’t have to digest a huge meal helped me wake fully rested. Little did I know I would totally need it…

Fridays are generally busy for the simple fact that as production director of seven radio stations and seven streams we have to make sure that we have all of the commercials ready for the following 3 days; Saturday, Sunday and Monday (since it officially starts at midnight Sunday night and the workday doesn’t start until about 8am Monday morning). Everything must be taken care of before we leave Friday night and I had to produce an unusually large number of commercials. I left the house with a bagel, cream cheese, apple juice and banana crème pie yogurt as my breakfast and the shrimp bisque, jichama salad, chocolate mousse, small seasoned pita and V-8 for lunch. I plan on bringing a toaster to work for the bagel and pita but otherwise, breakfast was just enough to calm my huge handful of pills and a cup of coffee.

I spend most days working through lunch which is usually Ramen Cup-o-Noodles or a microwave sandwich. Breakfast took me all the way past noon and I was excited to try what was in the quart tub. Living in New Orleans I’ve eaten my share of seafood bisque but the only thing this was missing was a few shots of hot sauce (which I put on everything) and some jumbo shrimp. It’s all pureed pretty fine but it had good consistency and flavor. Really good portion too. I occasionally dunked the pita in the bisque and really enjoyed the jichama salad although I thought it would be better as a Superbowl dish served with nacho chips. I would have added finely sliced jalapeños for the right balance of sweet (mandarin oranges) and heat. The purple onion lets everyone know you’ve opened the container but damn it was good.

I saved a bit of the banana crème pie yogurt and the chocolate mousse for a mid afternoon snack. I usually get “snackish” around 3:30pm and have a drawer full of 90 cal oat bars or some peanut butter crackers. I was happy to reach back into my little fridge and retrieve that sweet treat…I mixed them together and enjoyed the goodness. It really helped to get me to around 6pm when I left. Because I am riding my motorcycle in Mississippi tomorrow I left the “clean up” work to my assistant and came home to load my bike on the trailer and pack my gear for the trails. I wasn’t starving but I managed to make it till 7:30pm before I stopped to heat my dinner.

The corn and baked potato didn’t reheat as well as I would have liked but I think because the potato was really baked and the corn par boiled it made them both a bit soggy upon reheating but the sour cream and chives made the potato taste good. I was tempted to slather the small ear of corn in butter but instead opted for a little salt and pepper. The Tamale Pie made with ground turkey was again very flavorful and tasted fresh made once micro waved…I added nothing. I keep saying that if all I have to do is just eat the food I’m being sent to lose weight, I’m in! I keep wondering where the “diet” part is because all the food I’ve eaten so far has been properly seasoned and proportionate to what I should eating…not what I think I should be eating. I’m sure the freshly packed meals have some advantage over the frozen and shipped ones but so far they seem to have traveled well.


Challenges for this weekend: riding with my buddies used to consist of stopping off for breakfast at Waffle House (greasy eggs, hash browns, bacon, toast and grits---I’m from the south…we have to have grits). On the way to the trails we would stop at Blimpies and pick up a $5 sub. We’d ride till noon, eat half the sub, ride some more and eat the other half. Once home; that’s when the beer drinking would start. Reliving the days events over a cold beer or three, four five was always the best part of the day. That usually led to grilled burgers, steaks or worse so tomorrow I plan on eating my Fajita Omelet with seasoned artichokes before I leave the house and bringing my Roast Turkey sandwich with me in the truck. I burn a lot of calories riding so I am bringing an orange with me as well. My buds have decided the beer drinking has to stop as well so I’m hoping I can make it back to the house and nuke up my spaghetti pie for dinner. I don’t even want to talk about Superbowl Sunday…I’ll let you know how I do!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bo

    Steve here, I can identify with you on wanting a cold beer, OK more than 1 cold beer. Just think once we achieve out goals we can look into those new Budweiser Select Low Carb Beers at 99 calories and 0g of fat. With calories that low we may have even more than a few if we're willing to drink them while on the tread mill:)

    ReplyDelete