Monday, April 13, 2009

OMG...the Low Carb meals are THAT good!

It seems I’ve been writing this Blog entry in my head since Friday morning but finally have a chance to put it down and post it. Because I had a few Low Fat entrees left from previous shipments I decided to start the Low Carb plan on Friday morning. From the moment I put those tasty little full fat sausages in my mouth I knew I was going really enjoy this plan. Don’t get me wrong, the low fat program has plenty of flavor but when you haven’t had fat for a couple of months it tastes really good. The western omelet (that included those 2 tasty sausages) was delightfully cheesy and had ham bell peppers and the right amount of western seasoning. I recall licking my fingers…seriously. I’m happy to see that breakfast is repeated several times in the meal plan.

Lunch was a large 6-8 inch piece of Andouille sausage with a zucchini and squash mix that once seasoned with some Cajun spices had me wishing for rice to pour the liquid over. For those that don’t know what Andouille sausage is, it’s mostly pork but ground with lots of Cajun spices and seasonings. The best comes from the heart of Cajun country around Lafayette, La. But this truly wasn’t bad at all.

I left work early for the Easter weekend and went to my Father in laws house in the panhandle of Florida. We all got a chance to visit and then settled in for dinner. The enjoyed a stuffed chicken and I was blown away by the Grilled Pork Chop with Green Peppercorn Sauce and Garlic Cauliflower Puree Green Beans & Roasted Peppers. The pork was really tender and I loved the peppercorn sauce. The cauliflower puree was just like having mashed potato’s so it didn’t feel like I was missing the carbs. They all had desert…none for me, I was satisfied.

Saturday morning was another surprise the Scrambled Egg Breakfast Egg Patties, Canadian Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Spinach, and Cauliflower was just what I needed because I knew it would be a long time before lunch. It was delicious and filling and got me through to our family style (Easter) lunch. My in laws have several hundred acres of property and I like to go and shoot when I get the chance. Having emptied most of the ammo I brought through several different guns we headed back for lunch.

It was hotdogs and hamburgers for them but I sat down to the Beef Short Ribs with Creamy Mushroom Sauce Kale & Red Pepper Broccoli Florets. The rib was tender and juicy with a flavorful sauce…I even ate the kale. Really good but I did supplement my lunch with a hamburger patty…no bread or other fixings. I hope that meal returns to the menu several times as well.

Dinner was the Lemon Herb Chicken Cheesy Broccoli with Bacon Green Beans. I absolutely want whatever seasoning they put on the chicken. I’ve used lemon pepper seasonings for years but this had some crushed red pepper in it and when I tell you it was spicy, believe me it was. The green beans soaked up all the extraneous spices and tasted just like a spiced green bean you’d put in a bloody Mary. Again, really delicious!

Sunday morning’s Vegetable Quiche, Sausage Patty & Spinach was a great start before we got on the road to head back. Unfortunately my son and I needed a pack of “wheat-n-cheese” crackers to hold us over until we got to “Grammy’s” house for Easter dinner. I brought in my Spicy Salmon & Spinach Salad with Bacon Round &Marinated Vegetable Blend. I ate the chunks of salmon and bacon but still had a piece of spiral sliced ham and a small yam to feel like I was part of the family. My sister brought several different kinds of cheese to munch on as well so that kept me satisfied too. I wasn’t even hungry for dinner even though my mom sent home some pasta salad…never touched it.

I think me and the low carb menu are going to work out just fine. I noticed that growing up, after a big bowl of pasta, we all would fight for what we termed “the digestion couch.” First one there would fall out and likely fall asleep after a big family gathering like this. I find that eating the large portions of protein has the opposite effect on me and I’m energized by the meal. I have to put my trust back into Diet To Go that they know what they’re doing because food that tastes this good shouldn’t be called diet.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're liking the low carb-the food is really good! Remember if you're hungry, snack on meat and cheese (otherwise your body will go out of ketosis and you won't lose)...I'm saying this because with this type of low carb (Atkins-like), it's really important to keep your body burning the fat (not carbs!). Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...]There are plenty of information and tips about the low carb diet recipes. No matter what sources of information or tips you choose you need to always keep in your mind that the low carb diet recipes should consist of healthy and match with your diet plan[...]

    ReplyDelete