Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wow, what a crazy week.

Well, I was really excited to post a nice blog Thursday with my new weight (Yes, I made the 20 pound loss mark) including some new photos and details about the low carb plan but unfortunately my wife's car broke down on the road again. She was just outside of Mobile, AL and began to overheat again. It was actually Tuesday afternoon. By Wednesday they had a new water pump (since we already replaced the radiator and thermostat the week before) and installed it but it still overheated. The shop she had it towed to in Florida began to think the last shop didn't replace the thermostat but simply said they did so they pulled the thermostat again, put another one in and took it for a long test drive on Thursday. Long story short, it overheated again and of course blew the head gasket so I grabbed my kid, threw a few clothes in a bag for the both of us and headed to Florida right after work to rescue her. Friday we left early to get back for a half day of work and school for myself and my boy. Being that the car is ten years old and blown head gasket is terminal so we're looking for a new car. We picked up a rental for the week so we're cool for now.

OK, that was a long way to go to tell you I actually traveled with my DTG food and was able to avoid stress eating by bringing my pre-packaged meals. They're convenient, tasty and have helped me lose 20 pounds. I'm really enjoying the flavors too. I'm not used to eating tons of veggies for breakfast...or with every meal but if you eat nothing but the protein you may have some er um...troubles in the bathroom. I promise some pictures this week but let me just say that I found a couple of meals that weren't to my liking. Unfortunately the salmon makes the lost again...my wife loved it though. For some reason I just don't think it packs well. It's belief that it probably comes to Diet To Go frozen. It's then thawed, seasoned and cooked. In my case it's flash frozen for shipment and the I thaw it and cook it again. I love salmon! My wife and I found a spectacular way to cook the frozen kind you can get from Sams Club or Costco. You wrap it in cling wrap with a pat of butter and whatever seasoning you desire and cook for only about a minute...no more than two per piece. It comes out medium rare and cleanup couldn't be easier; just remove from the wrap onto a plate, drain the juices off with it and throw away the cling wrap. There's just something about the way it turns out that I find unappealing. Oddly, my wife loved it so to each his own.

I was really looking forward to the prime rib tonight but was a bit disappointed with the cut of beef. It was rather fatty and a bit sinewy which made it difficult to chew. The sauce and veggies were great and the flavor of the beef was wonderful but if a better cut of prime was used it would be perfect. With that said, everything else I've eaten on this new low carb plan has been delicious. I really enjoyed the chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese. Breakfasts are really good too with lots of gooey cheese, ham bacon or sausage and terrific salsas and sauces. If your currently on the low carb I hope you're enjoying it like me. If you're doing the low fat and and looking for something to change it up I highly suggest the low carb. Now, I have a friend that has been busting his but to lose weight and he HAS been successful (35 pounds) but I can promise you he hasn't enjoyed his meal plan half as much as mine. I'll detail out slightly similar approach in my next blog. Now wish me luck finding my wife a new car. Luckily with my years in radio, I've crossed paths with several different dealerships and won't have any trouble getting a good deal.

2 comments:

  1. Bo

    Congratulations on your 20 pound loss.
    It looks like the low carb plan is the way to go for you. Sorry about all the car problems you're having. Sorry to hear the salmon is messing with you once again,

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 pounds, woo hoo! way to go and KEEP IT UP!!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete