Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hey, I'm down another pound!


I'm happy to report that I've lost a total of 16 pounds! I have to say that I am used to taking the weight off a bit faster than this but I know it was NEVER healthy. I have to remind myself that it took a while to put it all on so it will take some time to take it back off. I leave to go out west at the end of May and I would love to be 30 pounds lighter by that time. Unfortunately the math is not in my favor unless I can get myself moving a bit more. I also am thinking about cutting back to the 1200 calorie plan...maybe even going lo-carb.

My doctors have been worried about the cholesterol numbers in the lo-carb plan but I've been battling my sugars and am borderline diabetic. Unfortunately my sugar readings have been higher since starting the DTG plan. I blame it on all of the "extras" that make Diet To Go so good. The delicious jams and specialty cream cheeses plus applebutter and yogurt. The plan is obviously calorie based and carefully put together with overall calories in mind. The lo-carb plan will have less sugar because that's the basis for most high protien plans like Sugarbusters, Atkins, South Beach, etc. Sugar, refined or enriched flours are bad; wheat and meat is good. Now, where DTG's traditional low fat plan may let sugars go; lo-carb diets tend to throw fat counts out the window but it's the right fats that count. Regardles, once you hit ketosis, the weight tends to fall off. It may be good for losing weight but it's unrealistic to think you can maintain that type of food regimine for very long so people go back to the comfort of their pastas, breads and sugars. I'll give it some thought...we'll have to see.

Another bright spot for my day was that I got to spend the early evening taking a ride with my son. He's just getting old enough to where he stays on the bike well. I would love to take him on some on my long distance trips but he's still pretty young. He'll do just fine though and I can't wait to take another spin with him. And yes, the photographer (his mother) is horrified that he rides with me. What a dude!

4 comments:

  1. I don't get the breakfasts. I make a lo-cal bagel, egg, and cheese sandwich. Maybe doing something like that would help with your sugar levels. Have you talked about your concerns with Rebecca, the dietition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bo congratulations on your total loss of 16 pounds! Time will go bye anyway my friend, so if your at 26 pounds lost in lieu of 30 I'm sure you'll still have a wonderful time and feel better. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Bo, you're doing just fine. I know that we all want our pounds to melt away quickly, but your body (and skin) will shrink down to size better if you take it off slowly, so that's something else to think about. And as one who currently does the 1200 plan, I'm not sure that's a good thing for men. The difference between my portions and my husband's (his are the 1600 cal) can sometimes be quite significant. I'm concerned you'd go hungry doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with your wife....don't think I'd let my Hudson on that bike, haha! Although you look like you guys had some good male bonding time! Luckily my husbands not into bikes, just VW's...

    ReplyDelete