Friday, March 6, 2009

Just in the nick of time!!!

I'm happy to report my food arrived today! I checked the tracking list and saw that the shipment took an extended stay in Roanoke Va. due to bad weather early in it's trip. I was scared to open it for fear of what I might find and the possibility of exposing it to the warm environs of my office if it was still all frozen. I had a leftover yogurt for breakfast but needed to open the box to pull something out for lunch. Much to my pleasure, everything was still pretty well frozen.

If I haven't explained how the food comes to me previously, my first shipments came in a cardboard box with insulated panels and a piece of dry ice (which is all gone by the time I receive the package). It would have a small box attached to the outside with very strong plastic straps. It was big and a bit unwieldy but it always made it and everything was intact and frozen solid. A couple of weeks ago I began receiving a Styrofoam ice chest with the same small box of fruit and extras (that round out the 1600 calorie meal plan) and the straps. The first carton shipped like that was destroyed (with pictures in a previous post) but the food was still frozen and the food intact. I thought maybe something happened to the big cardboard box and they delivered what was left. The next week, same thing and same condition. This week the box was a day late getting to me (not DTG's fault...they control a lot of things but not the weather) it was shipped on time but needed to rest is Roanoke. When I got it home tonight I noticed a difference in the Styrofoam ice chest. It was a bit beefier and they used a piece of cardboard on the top of the lid before strapping the box of condiments etc to the top...my suggestion BTW. I'm glad to know they are listening. The lid was damaged a bit but not smashed into the contents of the chest like the 2 previous shipments. Much better but still not getting to me without issue.

Today brought me back five weeks when I had my first lunch at the office. I had (and shared) the big bowl of Shrimp and Mango Bisque. It came complete with a little Pita bread, a jicama salad and of course...Chocolate Pudding!!! Look, anything that DTG sends for desert is delicious. I only wish each meal had a little something sweet to finish off with but again...that's why I'm in the shape I'm in now. I have made one complete revolution through the five week menu and am almost 15 pounds lighter for it.
Tomorrow I'm going riding in the Desoto forest at one of our favorite trails called Bethel. I'm gearing up for my annual trip out west through the deserts and mountains of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. I'm taking the Memorial week for my trek so I'm still undecided as to how I'm going to handle my food. I do know one thing though. With about 2 months left to go I'm hoping to be thirty or so pounds lighter as I make the ride this year. I've got photos dating back 10 years of my adventures out west. One year we went all the way to Yellowstone National Park. It was 6800 miles in just 12 days and we were wiped out on our return. Linking several 600 mile days together is exhausting and rewarding all at the same time. Distance riding is my marathon now and I'm thankful my wife understands...whole nother story.

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to hearing adventures from your trip! I know you will be fine with the diet. The first step is being conscious of your choices and you are doing that!

    ReplyDelete