Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm trying any way I can to work in some exercise.

As most of you may know, I work in radio and have done so for over 25 years now. When I was on the air, most people thought Disc Jockeys just sat around with our feet up on the console, smoked dope, answered the phone and every now and then keyed the microphone and blabbered on about something. The truth is, as a morning show host, it's a bit more hectic than that but I have to be honest with you; I got in to radio because there is very little math, you work in an air-conditioned environment (because of all the hot equipment) and there is no heavy lifting. Let's face it working in radio breeds couch potato's and now that I sit at a desk all day it's even more difficult to try and get some movement throughout the day. I am forcing myself to get up and move around a bit more and when I can, I slip out and take a walk. Today, I walked all the way up to Convention Center Boulevard from the station and came back down Andrew W Higgins to Lee Circle and to the station. It took me about 30 minutes to complete my walk so I figure it was around two miles in length. I also play a game with the elevator. If I need to go upstairs I see if the elevator is on the first floor. If not, I take the stairs to the desired floor instead of waiting on the elevator. Same thing when I'm ready to go back down. If the elevator is waiting there with the door open, I jump on. If not, I take the stairs down. It's not much but It's more than what I would have been doing...waiting for the elevator to come and taking it every time.

Food wise I've been pretty good. Morning breakfasts are uneventful but filling whether it be a simple bagel, cream cheese and yogurt or a muffin; It's usually enough to carry me through to lunch. There is always enough food for lunch and usually something that I can save for later in the afternoon when the tummy begins to growl. Desert, a piece of fruit...whatever. Dinner is great because I never have to worry what's for dinner...there is always something just waiting to be nuked or toasted. Tomorrow is weigh-in and I hope my food arrives on time and is not delayed for any reason. I'll post up tomorrow with some pictures and hopefully another week with a loss.

2 comments:

  1. Bo,

    Great job on the walking, and elevator game. Exercise is a key ingredient, why does it have to be so much work? Good Luck on the weigh-in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the weigh in tomorrow! And climbing stairs is an excellent way to get exercise and it's cheaper than joining a gym and using a stairclimber there. Plus, you can do it right there where you work. Since I work from home, it's off to the gym for me. No stairs here. :(

    ReplyDelete