Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I just like eatin the food and the way I feel. Diet?

You’ve missed me, right? Meant to post yesterday…just ran out of time; much like tonight. With my 2 week weigh in looming for tomorrow evening I want to get in what I’ve had to eat before the new box-o-grub arrives tomorrow. Tuesday we welcomed back an employee that had been out following some scheduled surgery and no one missed her more than me. She was detrimental to helping me get my work out on time so in addition to a couple of very stressful weeks figuring out new processes after a big layoff, I didn’t have my go-to-girl to keep our work organized and timely. Everyone was so happy to see her come back that a small lunch gathering was thrown in her honor. It’s not the first time we’ve had catered events…usually Mexican fair from the local Chevy’s Tex-Mex chain. You know fajitas, chips and salsa, beans, rice, etc. I’ll have you know I marched in there with my Turkey Pastrami on Rye and citrus fruit cup and didn’t touch as much as a chip or dip of guacamole.

When this menu comes around again I will make an adjustment to this meal. It comes with a sandwich and a half…I’m sure I would likely have made 2 on my own so that was cool. I will toast the two whole slices of bread and apply the Dijon mustard. I will then remove the turkey pastrami from the half sandwich and put it on the two toasted slices and pitch the rye from the half sandwich. The meat from the sandwich and a half makes one sandwich just about right. Other than that, it was delicious! That night’s dinner was what I would have had for lunch: Chicken Fajitas! It came with a guacamole quesadilla with a side of the tastiest refried beans and some fresh made salsa with just the right amount of cilantro…I don’t like too much. Oh, there were baby carrots in there too. I’m not sure how they tie into the meal but I’m always happy for the roughage.

Wednesday morning’s breakfast was a dense wedge of what is called a homemade cinnamon Power Bar. I heated it slightly, had it with my morning coffee and felt full and satisfied saving the yogurt and orange juice for an afternoon snack. I totally dug the Black bean Soup! It was well seasoned with rough cut onions, green and red bell peppers and a delightful southwest blend of fresh herbs and spices. Hearty and filling. It came with a sidecar of creamy vegetable salad and a hermetically sealed package of string cheese. Now, I’m going to write the Diet to Go people and convince them that there should be 2 soft pretzels instead of just one. Once micro waved to just soft, it had me thinking back to all the wonderful things I could put on it like a spicy brown mustard. Really good.

I arrived home to a 6 year old who was finally feeling better after a cough and fever kept him home 2 days last week and 2 this week. A couple of days with your grandmother can always make you feel better. I was tired and hungry from a long day and settled down to a generous portion of stir fry chicken with oriental vegetables and brown rice. If it hadn’t come packaged from DTG I would have thought my wife ordered take out. I went through a phase for a year or so when I wok fried everything. You name it, I stir fried it. Tonight’s Asian offering was as good as anything I ever produced and rivaled some of the dishes I have had from take-out. From the moment I unpacked it I could smell the nuance of sesame oil and some form of peanuts…oil, paste I don’t know what but that’s what the palate tasted. Also there was a healthy sprinkling of Chinese red pepper so if you don’t like spicy this may not be for you. I loved it! With a couple of dashes of low sodium soy, I was in heaven. Again I wondered about the portion size but I have faith the DTG gurus have it all figured out. I weigh in tomorrow so check in to see the progress and as always you can learn more about me on my Facebook page. Tonight’s entry was a Bucket List complete with lots of pictures of me doing what I love the most. Check it out in the New Orleans Network under Bo Boots Walker. Nite.

2 comments:

  1. Bo

    Way to go on not touching as much as a chip or dip of guacamole. Good Luck on the upcoming weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to show restraint, Bo! I'm confident your weigh in will make it all worth it. I don't know if I could ever pass up Chevy's! Maybe I should learn from you as I still have these 10 pounds of "baby weight" to take off!

    ReplyDelete