Monday, February 23, 2009

When will this end?

I feel like I’m back from the dead. Just when I thought I was over this sickness I ended up at Emergency care Sunday morning as my throat felt like I’d been swallowing knives all day Saturday. After a 2 hour wait I was diagnosed with Strep Throat, given the obligatory shot in each cheek and sent on my way with 3 new prescriptions. Thankfully I’m feeling much better today. The good news is I stuck to my meal plan…for the most part but I did sneak in a few 60 calorie fruit popsicles because it made my throat feel soooo much better.

I’ve had several meals since we last spoke so I’ll catch you up quickly on what I’ve had and what I think about it. Friday morning’s breakfast of eggs quesadilla potato cake and citrus cup was very good. I thought I was the king of cheesy eggs in my household but this dish gives it a run for the money. I really enjoyed the tomato basil soup and the comments made about its aroma from my co-workers. I’d heard so much about the Lobster Ravioli that I skipped a day ahead and had it Friday night. Everything that was said is true…a truly delicious meal of 4 differently stuffed Ravioli served in a lemon herb sauce and a side of mixed vegetables. Very good…I could easily have eaten a dozen more. Still feeling bad as my Strep was really starting to kick in Saturday morning, I decided to have the Blueberry Pancakes and maple syrup with Turkey sausage. Again, I had to share with my son; he loves pancakes and these are very good. The Hungarian Turkey with basmati rice was uneventful but seemed to have too many carrots in the dish. As I recall, it had sliced and roasted carrots in the dish itself and more baby carrots in the bean salad. By this point I wasn’t feeling very well so it was easy to give up on this dish quite easily. Dinner was the Chicken Stroganoff with Bow Tie Pasta with Broccoli & Carrots; a meal I really enjoyed. I only wish they wouldn’t use the same grilled chicken patties as where used in a couple other dishes I’ve had now. They aren’t really grilled but have painted on grill marks that give it a smokey or grilled flavored. The sauce of the stroganoff is so good it doesn’t need to compete with this artificial flavoring on the chicken. I really enjoyed this meal not only because of the pasta (love any kind) but because this northern style staple is something we don’t eat a lot of down here.

Sunday morning brought a really swollen neck that burned like fire so I decided to see a professional since I was clearly not getting better. By the time I got home it was early afternoon and I was starved. I quickly ate the mango cranberry muffin with orange marmalade and yogurt smoothie while I preheated the toaster oven for the chicken Alfredo melt. After a few minutes in the toaster oven these chicken Alfredo melts were crispy, perfect and delicious! I dispatched with this generous portion in no time flat. I think Donna may be right in her blog when she says that this mixture could easily be used to make a really good pasta dish as well. I ate the apple later in the day as a snack. I’ll preface my comments on dinner with this; I was raised by a short little Italian woman so I grew up on really good Italian food. That said, the Italian Meatball and fettuccini in a Pomodoro Sauce with Carrot Coins and sugar snap peas while filling was not what I’d call Italian at all. The meatball I’m sure was really turkey and not beef and the Pomodoro sauce had more of a BBQ quality to it rather than a good red “gravy” as they say here in the south. The tomato paste became overpowering and bitter. It was a miss for me but needing something in my stomach for the 6 Amoxicillin per day and highly toxic cough syrup I’ve been taking; I ate it up.

Monday is called Lundi Gras around this time. It’s the Monday before Mardi Gras…all from the French days of the week. Feeling better from all the drugs I had a simple breakfast of Cinnamon Bagel and cream cheese and yogurt just so I could get my boy off to daycare. He’s off all this week…unfortunately my wife and I aren’t. I was able to swap out with one of my co-workers as I anticipated a very low day today. I’ll give him a day of his choosing off in the future. It will give me another day to recuperate. Not expecting to like the Curry Chicken Salad I chose it with much trepidation. I was happy to be proven wrong as it had just the right amount if Indian spices to keep it interesting and delicious. Served with melba toast and a small fruit cup of mandarin oranges it was light, refreshing and very good. We’re laying low tonight; I’m not gonna push m y luck with this illness. It has caught everybody I know including some friends that came from California. Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday so I’m sure I will go out and revel with the rest of the crazies but I will try to keep with the plan and hopefully heal on this day of excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment