Thursday, February 19, 2009

What happened to my box?


I thought me and the UPS man we gonna throw down today. I got my DTG shipment and the carton was crushed. You know not to get between a fat man and his food and the UPS man was public enemy number one this morning. Lets back up a bit. This is only my fourth delivery as I begin my fourth week of the program. My weekly shipments showed up at my office in a large cardboard box with plastic strapping holding it all together. Once inside there is a small box with some of the additions to the standard meal plan. With that removed there is a large sheet of Styrofoam that covers the frozen food below which has Styrofoam panels on all four sides and the bottom. Basically it’s a well insulated ice chest inside of a really sturdy box. Today’s shipment looked like the outside cardboard box had been removed and it was just the Styrofoam ice chest with the small box taped to the top. I asked the UPS man what happened to the box. He said that is all he had…no box.


I quickly gave a call to DTG to find out what happened and was told that the sturdy cardboard box with strapping was just temporary so they could try a new packing system. She said that people complained that the big box was unruly and difficult to handle so they decided to go back to the old packing method of just a Styrofoam ice chest with the straps and box taped to the top. I told her it was a bad move as mine was crushed and so badly beat up that I feared my food was spoiled or possibly missing items. Luckily for me, that was not the case but I did make an extra trip home to unpack my shipment incase the chest had lost its thermal properties by being crushed. To my delight, everything was still well frozen. Given the option, I’d prefer the sturdy box method with a bit better packing but as long as I can continue getting my DTG food somehow, I’ll take it!


I’ve hit my first milestone and after 3 weeks, I’ve lost 10 pounds!!! Here’s the best part; I don’t feel like I’ve been on a diet. I’ve just been eating really good food and now I’m 10 pound lighter for it. It feels good to get that first 10 gone. That’s one sixth of my goal of losing 65 pounds. I think if I wasn’t dealing with a cough and cold right now I’d feel really good. My body has responded to eating food that is not only good tasting but good for you. As I’ve said before, I could eat pasta everyday but I know

where that leads.



This morning’s breakfast of French toast was really good. It came complete with fruit flavored syrup that wet it just enough. Lunch was a Tomato melt over with a delicious little spice cake for desert. Tonight’s offering of Salmon and cous cous I enjoyed much more that the previous salmon dish. It was moist, tasty and came with a generous serving of mixed vegetables. I made a quick cocktail sauce of ketchup and horseradish and lapped it right up.




Besides the little scare with my container being crushed today I’m reveling in my 10 pound weight loss. Now, if I can get through this weekend without straying from the program too badly I’ll be OK. This weekend is huge in New Orleans as it’s the last weekend before Mardi Gras. The “Super-Krewes” roll this weekend and into Fat Tuesday. Like Bacchus, Endymion, Orpheus, Rex, Zulu and more. It is truly the greatest free show on earth and can only be rivaled by possibly Carnival in Rio. If you ever get the chance, leave your inhibitions at home and bring your party hat for several days of good times. It includes eating at drinking to excess before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. By the looks of me you’d think I’ve been on a three year Mardi Gras bender. We’ll see how I do this next week. If I remember to shoot some pictures, I’ll post them. Happy Mardi Gras Ya’ll!


4 comments:

  1. Bo

    OUTSTANDING - Keep up the great work and enjoy everything that Mardi Gras has to offer with the exception of the eating at drinking to excess.
    So what's left, the party hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over 3 pounds a week! Do you realize you've lost almost 4% of your body weight already? Way to go!
    Just light a candle, listen to a little Madness and you'll fulfill your tribute to Bacchus without the indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Bo on your first 10pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the hell happened to that box?!??!

    ReplyDelete