Sunday, February 15, 2009

My appetite isn’t what it once was but that could be that I am sick.


I felt this coming on by late Thursday evening. I’d just gotten over a huge bout of bronchitis just a few weeks ago…then my family got sick; first my boy, then my wife and then me! As much as I would have liked to turn to comfort food I stuck to my meal program and I’m feeling I’ll be rewarded for it. For Christmas, I was given a couple of gift cards to Ruth’s Chris Steak house. I contemplated taking my wife out for Valentines but bless her heart, she too wanted me to stick to my plan as well. Ruth’s (Fertel) and I go way back. I actually had the pleasure of meeting her before she passed away. Ruth paved the way and set the standard of how high end chain restaurants grow and prosper. My father always had a Ruth’s credit card. He would give it to me when I began dating and it summarily impressed all of my female dining companions. I tend to order the same meal when I go but have never been disappointed by any meal I’ve had there. I’ve often said I go expecting to get a bad meal but never have. I was saddened that Katrina took the original restaurant on Broad Street from us. They move their headquarters to Florida but kept their Metairie location and have just opened up at Harrah’s downtown in New Orleans. More deals were cut in the original broad street location than there are grains of rice in a huge bowl of gumbo as many politicians, judges and lawyers ate there on a regular basis. If those old oak walls could talk…too bad we’ll never know. It was destroyed shortly after Katrina.

Back to the meal plan! I’m on the week 5 menu though only in my third week of dieting. So far besides the Salmon everything else has been very tasty. The waffles with peaches were delectable and the Reuben sandwich was good despite me not liking mushrooms and artichokes so I eliminated it and ate the rest. The Grilled chicken parmesan was cheesy and filling. Saturday morning I decided to skip down to the Whole grain pancakes with a delicious strawberry maple syrup and medallions of turkey sausage. I still wasn’t feeling well and it gave me an opportunity to actually cook and enjoy my meal while at home. The veggie Philly sub was pretty good. There was so much of the vegetable mixture that I ended up making it open face on both pieces of the wheat bun. It comes complete with shredded Mozzarella cheese, too. I enjoyed dinner as well. I’m growing fond of the Turkey substitutions for beef although after professing my love earlier to an establishment that serves incredible seared cow, I don’t think I could cut it out completely. The Salisbury (turkey) steak in mashed potatoes with green beans was just what I needed while feeling a bit under the weather. Now, Sunday morning’s breakfast of egg and broccoli pie (basically quiche) was really good. It is a single serving of eggs and broccoli served in about a six inch diameter pastry shell that was flaky and delicious. I wish there were two of them!

It’s Mardi Gras season so the wife and kid are at the parades while I sit at home trying to clear my lungs of excess gunk. I’m looking forward to feeling better soon and to today’s lunch of turkey cutlet sub and chugwater chili for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment