Friday, February 6, 2009

TGIF! and I mean it!

I won’t bore you with the mundane details of how my day was but Fridays are generally busy because we are preparing for the next three days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday). That’s a lot of commercials! I totally enjoyed my DTG breakfast though. Delicious and moist pancakes rolled up with a delicious mixture of cinnamon apples. It came with a side of turkey sausage medallions and sugar free syrup. Filling, and quite tasty. I should have saved that one for a weekend when I could have enjoyed it with my family. Sure, it looks like there is a lot of granola, yogurt, bagels, fruit and the like for breakfast but if I’m being honest, I don’t have time to “savor” breakfast or lunch while at work so it may as well be something I can pick up and put down a lot. I don’t mid it, really. I like saving the hot breakfasts for the weekend where I can sit down and enjoy them.

With that said, I’ve got to look at my food list a bit better (and maybe Diet to Go too) because I unpacked my food and took out three days to thaw in the fridge. Well just a few hours in the fridge was not enough to thaw the Shrimp and Pasta Salad so I had to heat it. Now, it came with a small cup of some dynamite cocktail sauce and again, being from the south I’ve had lots of cocktail from the plain ketchup and horseradish to any variation with fresh ingredients and this stuff was good! Too bad I had to dip warm rubbery shrimp into it once I heated it. I liked the flavor of the zucchini , pasta and carrot sticks…not all bad warm but this is one dish that I’m sure should be thawed fully and served chilled, not heated. If it were later in the week (for us mail order guys) it would be perfect.

I still contend that for new customers some additional paperwork could be included to help us get started. I know DTG is trying to be environmentally conscious but when my meals come in a cardboard box with 6 pieces of Styrofoam in it, a few extra sheets of paper wouldn’t hurt…just until we’ve completed the initial 5 weeks of food. After that, kill it. Now before you say it’s all online, let me defend my position by saying I stare at not one but two computer screens all day long and fumbling around on a website looking for info is not for me. That’s not to say the site is bad I simply don’t want to have to fire up the computer when I’m looking for the best way to heat a particular item. I’m making notes on the menus I printed on the best way to heat and eat these meals so I’m not guessing at it next time around. I would love to see info from DTG or from customers that have been using this system for a while on the best way to serve these delicious meals especially after they have been frozen. The first week I took everything out and let it thaw over a week’s time. This week I took three days out to thaw and left the rest in the freezer. Next week I plan on looking over the food more carefully and determining what can stay frozen and be heated like a “Lean Cuisine” and what needs time to thaw properly in the fridge for a few days before cooking or consuming.

Dinner was good and unlike Steve, I enjoy the seafood. I haven’t noticed the fishy flavor or smell that he has but maybe freezing it helps cure that, I don’t know. Regardless, if DTG can learn to boil crawfish, or broil oysters I will stay on this “diet” for the rest of my life. If DTG is listening and you want a few pointers on how to boil the mudbugs and ship em, I can certainly help you there. Up to now, I haven’t eaten off of the meal plan (Of great consequence. No binging or eating King Cake) but I can tell you the crawfish are good sized this year and I definitely plan on eating a few. Nutritionally they are a bit high in cholesterol and salty but not too bad for you. Much like eating shrimp! I love me some seafood so bring it on DTG. Tonight’s Whitefish Parmesan with those sweet little baby carrots were right on time. Firm white fish settled in a zesty red sauce with gooey cheese…I sopped it up with their little multi grain roll.

Challenges for the weekend: my six year old son Hudson has been sick for the last 2 days which means momma had to stay home with him while I went to work so she’ll need a break tomorrow. If he feels well enough I’ll take him to see his grandmother across the lake. If the wife gives the OK, I will ride again in MS on Sunday. A few new riders will join the group which is always fun and makes for great competition. We’ll see if my skills are what to what they were last week. Food wise, breakfast at the house both days. I can bring my lunch with me while visiting and to the trails…much like last week. No beer but I am rewarding myself after a stressful week of being shorthanded (several out sick and one on medical leave; comes back Tuesday) with 2 glasses of red wine. A pungent and bold Merlot from Stags Leap Vineyards (2003). Still digging the diet and hope some of you are motivated to hop on board. Don’t lose hope, lose weight!

4 comments:

  1. Bo,

    I'm sure the fish is great for folks that love fish. I tend to like fish that doesn't taste like fish. I do love MD steamed crabs, shrimp and scallops. Careful with the wine my DTG friend those pictures will only become more tempting.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crabs too. Dungeness, Alaskan King or just a plain ole Blue. I prety proud of my 2 glass limit on the wine...I would normally have finished the bottle. It's good for you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a longer journey than you, however as I get further down the road I too will cherish some wine or light low fat beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, a couple glasses of wine a week will do you no harm- go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete